Sunday, August 31, 2014

Change

Your life does not get better by chance, it gets better by change. - Jim Rohn

I could write a million quotes here, but the point is... my life isn't going to change on its own.  I won't be happier, I won't be less fat, I won't be smarter, I won't be more financially stable, if I don't make some changes.  

Weight Watchers is a big supporter of small changes, and you know what?  You make enough small changes, and pretty soon you've lost 13.8 pounds.  You find yourself smiling more.  You find yourself annoyed by that "friend" who is constantly bitching about something.  You find yourself resisting a day at the outlets, because you need to save that money (and besides - it won't fit for long anyway!).  You find yourself seeking out professional development books that will stretch your mind.  You find yourself coping with emotions without stuffing your face full of food.  You find yourself trying new foods (avocados, eggplant, and grilled chicken in my salad - all in one week).  You find yourself craving fruit (I know, right?!).  You find yourself shopping the outer aisles of the grocery store.  

This week at WW we talked about the angel and the devil who sit on your shoulders.  We discussed how the devil is always louder, and we talked about ways to turn up the volume on the angel.  Our leader asked us what our devil says, I responded with "You're not worth it." (They probably all think I am some suicidal, abused wife.)  People are always amazed to learn that I am not a very confident person and that I am an introvert.  I put on a good face and appear confident, but anyone who really knows me, knows how truly insecure I am.  And anyone who really knows me, knows that it takes a lot of emotional energy on my part to be social with large groups of people, I find it exhausting.  And maybe what it really boils down to is that before recently, I didn't see my life as "worthy".  I was just me, taking care of myself, doing my own thing.  But when I think about, I'm really much more than that.  I take care of children, my friends, my co-workers, ,my family.  And dammit - I deserve to take care of myself too!  

So all you negative Nelly's who have spent years keeping me confined to a certain persona... stand back.  And be wowed.  And to those of you who have been telling me all these things all along - thanks for being patient!  And to myself - damn, girl, took ya long enough!     

No comments:

Post a Comment